*None Scheduled at this time*
Open to Pointers and Flushers, registered and non-registered dogs. All are welcome Contact us to pre-register.
Chukar Challenge Scoring
All runs are scored not judged.
10 points - for a point in the pointing division. (Must hold point for a minimum of 3 seconds.)
5 points – for a caught bird in all divisions.
10 points - for a bird find in all flushing divisions.
20 points - for a bagged bird in all divisions.
10 points - for a full retrieve. Hunter must keep one foot stationary until the bird is in hand. Hunter may kneel down but not lie down. If time has elapsed and a bird has been shot, the hunter has a 60 second grace period to complete the retrieve. If the retrieve is not completed within the allotted time no points will be given for a bagged bird or the retrieve. If the dog has a bird in its mouth at the end of the first 30 seconds of the grace period points will stand for points and flushes.
5 points - for a partial retrieve. The dog must find, pick up the bird, and make an attempt to bring the bird to the handler.
2 points - for each full minute left. Time is called when the last bird is in hand.
10 points - for each shell not used as long as points have been scored.
No points - will be scored until the first bird has been legally produced. (pointed or flushed, depending on division.) If no points have been scored, the run is scored as a zero.
If safety is called one shell must be discarded and there will be a two point deduction on final score.
Tie breakers will be as follows:
· First: Time when first bird is bagged.
· Second: Shells remaining
* Third: Flip of a coin.
Rules & Regulations
1. NO RUNNING with a gun; grounds for disqualification.
2. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES; NO competitor or hunter will be permitted to qualify if they have consumed any alcoholic beverage or are under the influence of drugs.
3. Electric collars will be permitted. Abuse or misuse will result in immediate disqualification. Beeper collars and other training devices will not be allowed in the field.
4. NO females in heat permitted on grounds.
5. All dogs must be kept on lead and away from qualifying areas until time to qualify. Spectators will not be permitted near qualifying blinds and must be in designated areas during qualifying runs. All hunters or competitors are required to wear at least 250 square inches of blaze orange to include a hat (State Law).
6. All GUNS must be kept unloaded until at the starting line. All dogs must be heeled and on lead to and from the fields. Any dog determined by the judge to be "out of control" will be subject to disqualification.
7. The DEADLINE is the Saturday, one week before the event is run. ALL entry fees must be paid before deadline to secure qualifying times. Entries received after the deadline will be placed in time slots at the discretion of the host club.
8. When birds are being set, the next hunter(s) up must be behind blinds with dog, gun and ammunition before previous qualifying run ends. The hunter is to leave the blind and enter their bird field without contact with outside persons. Any team/hunter not in blind will be disqualified. All birds must be carried by the hunter(s) at all times and will not be permitted to be dropped off in the field.
9. Field Judges will accompany all individuals/teams into the field. Participants and judge must sign score sheet before leaving the field. Any disagreements must be worked out before leaving the field. There will be unforeseen situations arising, but ALL decisions by Field Judges or Head Marshall are FINAL – NO APPEALS. Any need for discussion must be done at the close of the event day with the judging team and will not be allowed to interfere with another contestant.
10. All birds must be chukars and shot safely in flight, unless caught by the dog. This is the only way birds may be counted for qualification. Hunters cannot pick up already dead birds and count them toward qualification. In the case where a bird is caught by the dog in Flushing or Pointing divisions, the bird is counted and a shell is forfeited. For all breeds, catching a bird will result in a 5 point penalty as well.
11. A handler is considered a professional if he/she has accepted money for training a dog, accepted money to guide with a dog, is a guide or an owner of shooting preserve, or competes in multiple tournaments and MAY NOT enter an amateur division. The Head Marshal reserves the right to deem a participant as a tournament hunter.
12. The only exceptions to rule #11:
- If an amateur division handler has the same dog win in their division 2 times, then that handler and dog combination must then run in an open event.
- An open division handler will be allowed to run a dog 3 years of age and younger in the amateur divisions. (Proof of age may required)
13. Any judges, scorekeepers, bird planters, etc. competing in the chukar challenge may not enter their competition field within 2 runs prior to their own run or be a bird planter for their division. 14. All hunters, judges, scorekeepers, bird planters, etc. must sign a liability and promotional release prior to running or working in any event.
15. Field Judges will explain boundaries before qualifying run begins. Ribbon or other markers will mark your field’s boundaries. NO individual/team member is permitted to pursue or shoot outside the boundaries. Hunter(s) can shoot over the boundaries, if standing inside the boundary markers. The dog can retrieve a bird outside the boundaries, but not within the boundaries of another qualifying field. Individual/team members must be inside the markers and the finished retrieve made to within the boundary markers.
16. The hunter or the scorekeeper may call a safety, but the final decision will be up to the scorekeeper. Safety is called for any unsafe condition involving injury to man, dog or property. A safe shot is always the responsibility of the shooter. If a safety is called for possible injury to a dog and the shooter shoots but no injury occurs then the safety is off and points will be awarded accordingly. If safety is called due to possible injury to man or property and the shooter shoots, it will result in a disqualification. Remember, it is always safety first.
17. If a dog points and multiple birds rise on the flush at a single location, points for one find are given. The hunter may elect to shoot the correct number of birds needed and could receive all other points if the dog performs the correct dog work. The dog cannot tell if it is flushing or pointing multiple birds, only that there is a bird at that location. If a dog re-establishes a point or a flush after a bird is shot and it is at the first location, then they will be given points for another flush or point if another bird is produced. 18. Your run ends when the number of birds released for your run in the given division have been found. (puppy-3, singles- 4, doubles – 6) or time elapses or number of given shells are spent whichever comes first.
18. Run orders may change if next participant is not ready in an event and Doubles will run in the first field to become available. More doubles many enter without late fee if time allows.
19. No shells larger than low brass, 7 ½ shot, 2 ¾ -inch will be allowed for any/allgauge guns. 21. All hunters will compete with good ethics and sportsmanship. Poor sportsmanship will result in immediate disqualification and all entry fees will be forfeited.
20. For any further clarification or questions about any of the rules, refer to the Head Marshall.
21. Safety and sportsmanlike conduct are first priorities. This Hunting Dog Competition is designed to be competitive and fun. The event objectives are "good" dog work, "good" marksmanship, a bit of luck, and lots of fun.
Open Pointing: One hunter, one dog, one 20 minute run, four chukars and eight shells per run. This division is open to anyone including professional handlers and their dogs. The dog must hold point for three seconds.
Amateur Pointing: One hunter, one dog, one 20 minute run, four chukars and eight shells per run. This division is for amateur handlers only. The dog must hold a point for three seconds.
Open Flushing: One hunter, one dog, one 20 minute run, 4 chukars and eight shells per run. This division is open to anyone including professional handlers and their dogs.
Amateur Flushing: One hunter, one dog, one 20 minute run, four chukars and eight shells per run. This division is for amateur handlers only.
Doubles: Two hunters, two dogs, one 20 minute run, six chukars and ten shells per run. A hunter may enter up to six times per event as long as his or her team member changes every time.
Youth: One hunter (12 -17) and a parent or guardian, one dog, one 20 minute run, four chukars and eight shells per run. All youth will compete against each other at each event and a parent or guardian MUST accompany the youth in each run until they turn 18 years of age.
Puppy: One hunter, one puppy, one 20 minute run, three chukar and six shells per run. This division is for dogs up to 18 months of age. You must establish whether the puppy will point or flush at time of entry. All pointing and flushing puppies will compete against each other.
Fees & Prizes
$100 Open & Amateur Divisions ($25 returned to prize money)
$150 Doubles Divisions ($25 returned to prize money)
$75 Youth Division
$65 Puppy Divisions (under 18 months)
*** Pre- entry is preferred, but not required to run. If time allows in the field and the division has not ended, you are able to register with a $10 late entry fee applied.
In the Amateur & Open Divisions the winner of the division will receive 50% of the cash pot and a 1st place ribbon, the 2nd place winner will receive 30% of the cash pot and a ribbon, the 3rd place winner will receive 20% of the cash pot and a ribbon.
In the Doubles Division the winner of the division will receive 50% of the cash pot and a 1st place ribbon, the 2nd place winner will receive 30% of the cash pot and a ribbon and the 3rd place winner will receive 20% of the cash pot and a ribbon.
In the Youth Division the top three placing winner of the division will receive a ribbon.
In the Puppy Division the top three placing winner of the division will receive a ribbon.